Wisconsin Wing’s inaugural Non-Commissioned Officer School will be held 14-16 November 2014 at Volk Field Air National Guard Base. The school is open to all cadets who are the grade of Cadet Senior Airman through Chief Master Sergeant. To ensure a high-quality educational experience, there are a limited number of student slots so apply early.
Students need to report to Volk Field by 1830 hours on Friday, 14 NOV. The school will conclude at 1500 hours on Sunday, 16 NOV.
What will I learn?
The Non-Commissioned Officer School provides cadet NCOs with training in the skills they need to be successful. Cadets will have the chance to develop skills in:
- Drill & Ceremonies. Cadet NCOs teach drill, it’s a core responsibility of the cadet NCO. At NCOS you will take your drill skills to a whole new level. You’ll learn how to teach drill, how to command a flight, and all the information you need to be a successful drill instructor.
- Teaching & Instruction. Do you teach classes at your squadron? Do you want to start? Do you want to get better? One of the fundamental duties of a cadet NCO is to teach classes, and NCOS will help you up your game!
- Public speaking. If you had to stand up and present about CAP to 20 people, could you do it? Can you talk to a room of prospective cadets? NCOS students will work on skills so they can feel more comfortable speaking in front of groups and in public.
- The primary focus of NCOS is on learning. Learning takes many forms and you will learn from instructors and fellow students. Much of the school is “hands’on” in the form of commanding flights, presenting, and working in small groups. The NCOS experience is a collegial, school-like atmosphere unlike encampment, WCA, or other advanced schools. The focus is on learning the information in a low-stress environment.
Packing List. Be advised that we will be outdoors at times. Drill labs will occur outdoor. Students will also drill from 475 to the dormitories.
- BDUs only. We will not wear blues during the school.
- Cold weather gear. Please bring outerwear that is compliant with CAPM 39-1. However, if you do not have such gear, then please bring warm outerwear.
- Outdoor hat. Black watch caps are the authorized cold weather headgear. You can easily find an all-black watch cap at Wal-Mart or other stores for around $2.00.
- PT gear suitable for cold weather. Running shoes, warm-up pants/sweatpants,
- Thermal wear is suggested, though not required. Thermal wear are items such as long underwear, thermal tops, etc…
- Warm gloves. In accordance with CAPM 39-1, gloves should be all black. If you do not have black gloves, and cannot acquire them, then bring conservative colored gloves.
- Footgear. Combat boots with wool socks. A shoe shine kit is strongly recommended.
- Writing supplies: Pen, pencil, notebook. A package of notecards is recommended.
- A laptop, tablet, or phone with wireless connectivity is recommended but not required.
- A bath towel
- Snacks (recommended).
Cadet Staff Information
- Cadet Commander: C/Capt Brya Russell
- Alpha Seminar Leader: C/2d Lt Colton Wilbur
- Alpha Seminar Assistant: C/SMSgt Josh Biocic
- Bravo Seminar Leader: C/2d Lt Andrew Parr
- Bravo Seminar Assistant: C/SMSgt Jacob Erdman
- Charlie Seminar Leader: C/Capt Patrick Robbins
- Charlie Seminar Assistant: C/CMSgt Avery Currie
- Lead Drill Technician: C/Lt Col Evan Thomsen
- Drill Technician: C/2d Lt Jordan Garivay
- Drill Technician: C/2d Lt Zachary Klotz
- Drill Technician: C/1st Lt Andrew Marshall
- Duty Officer: C/2d Lt Creole Schmaltz
- PAO/Duty: C/SSgt Sophie Thompson, C/SSgt Theo Kobza
- Instructor Emeritus: C/Col Scott Steele
Senior Staff Information
- School Director: Maj Todd Mandel
- Instructor-at-large: Capt Richard Merz
- Alpha Seminar Instructor: Lt Col Richard Kreitz
- Assistant Seminar Instructor: MSgt Gwen Gajewski
- Bravo Seminar Instructor: Capt Craig Bartelt
- Charlie Seminar Instructor: CMSgt Mark Gajewski
- Assistant Seminar Instructor: 2d Lt Nina Stadler
- Administration Officer: Maj Amanda Grandke
Seniors who are interested in staffing the event should email Maj Mandel directly at email@example.com.
NCOS Preliminary Schedule (137.6 KiB)
NCOS 32 (175.8 KiB)