Wisconsin squadron finishes first and second in Color Guard and Drill Team competition
Oak Creek, Wis. – Four Drill Teams and six Color Guards vied for top honors at the annual Great Lakes Region Civil Air Patrol Cadet Competition, held April 5-7 at the Illinois Military Academy in Springfield, Ill.
Drill Teams from Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin competed in seven events. The Wisconsin team, composed of cadets from Milwaukee Composite Squadron #5 and Waukesha Composite Squadron, placed third in Inspection, Standard Drill, Mile Run and Volleyball. The team placed second in Innovative Drill and the Written Test, and placed first in the Quiz Bowl. The team took second place overall.
The 2013 Wisconsin Wing Drill Team included:
- Cadet First Lieutenant Roman Ruud, drill team commander
- Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Zachary Marek
- Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Samuel Grayson
- Cadet Technical Sergeant Anthony Albright
- Cadet Technical Sergeant Jordan Garivay
- Cadet Technical Sergeant Zachary Klotz
- Cadet Staff Sergeant Samuel Luebbe
- Cadet Senior Airman Victoria Albright
- Cadet Airman First Class Javier Correa, Jr.
- Cadet Airman First Class Jessie Teddy
- Cadet Airman Monte Koerner, III
- Cadet Staff Sergeant Theodore Evert, Waukesha Composite Squadron
- Lieutenant Colonel Danielle Michaels, Milwaukee Composite Squadron #5 commander
- Captain Allison Graff, deputy squadron commander for cadets
Color Guard teams from Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin competed in seven events. The Wisconsin team composed of cadets from Milwaukee Composite Squadron #5 placed third in the Quiz Bowl and Mile Run, second in the Written Exam, and first in Inspection and Indoor Practical. The team took first place overall.
The 2013 Wisconsin Wing Color Guard Team included:
- Cadet Chief Master Sergeant Xavier Correa, team commander
- Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Samantha Albright, junior flag bearer
- Cadet Technical Sergeant Christopher Sorenson, rifle guard
- Cadet Staff Sergeant Jon Micheal, rifle guard
- Lieutenant Colonel Stephen Michaels, squadron deputy commander for seniors
- First Lieutenant Gregory Turdo, squadron logistics officer
Aviation pioneer Mary Feik, for which the cadets’ third achievement is named, spoke to the cadets of both teams personally and presented the color guard with their trophy. Every cadet at the competition received a special Feik Achievement certificate, signed by Colonel Feik.
Milwaukee Composite Squadron #5’s Color Guard, located at the U.S. Army National Guard Armory in Oak Creek, will advance to the national competition, representing the Great Lakes Region. The national competition will be held at Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio on July 16 – 20.
Photos by Lt. Col. Stephen Michaels
Color Guard Team Caption: Shown with Col. Mary Feik are C/TSgt. Christopher Sorenson, C/CMSgt. Xavier Correa, 1Lt. Gregory Turdo, Lt. Col. Stephen Michaels, C/SMSgt. Samantha Albright and C/SSgt. Jon Micheal.
Drill Team Caption: Shown with Col. Mary Feik are Capt. Allison Graff, C/SrA Jessie Teddy, C/SMSgt. Zachary Marek, C/SSgt. Theodore Evert, C/TSgt. Jordan Garivay, C/MSgt. Samuel Gayson, C/A1C Monte Koerner, C/TSgt. Anthony Albright, C/A1C Javier Corea, C/1Lt. Roman Ruud, C/SSgt. Samuel Luebbe, C/TSgt. Zachary Klotz, C/SrA Victoria Albright, and Lt. Col. Danielle Michaels.