Five Wisconsin Wing Units receive 2012 Quality Cadet Unit Award
Congratulations to the following Wisconsin Wing units for being awarded Civil Air Patrol’s 2012 Quality Cadet Unit Award:
- Fox Cities Compopsite Squadron, Appleton, Wis.; Major Donna Daniels, commander**
- Kenosha Composite Squadron, Kenosha, Wis.; Captain Shaun Allen, commander*
- R.C. Jaye Memorial Composite Squadron, Watertown, Wis.; Captain Jerry Carlson, commander*
- Walco Composite Squadron, Elkhorn, Wis.; Captain Pamela Thomas, commander*
- West Bend Composite Squadron, West Bend, Wis.; Major Joseph Hackett, commander*
*These units have won the award twice since its inception.
**Has earned the award all three years since its inception; one of the few units in the Great Lakes Region to have done so.
Any cadet unit that displays strong program fundamentals can earn the Quality Cadet Unit Award. This award motivates squadrons to pursue goals that Civil Air Patrol believes will lead to having a vibrant Cadet Program. The Quality Cadet Unit Award is purely objective. Cadet and composite squadrons who meet the challenging criteria below automatically earn the award.
All cadet and composite squadrons and flights with a minimum of 10 cadets are eligible. Any unit that meets at least five (5) of the nine (9) criteria listed below, win the award.
2012 CRITERIA (Data taken from September 1, 2011 through August 31, 2012)
- Adult Leadership: Unit has at least three Training Leaders of Cadets graduates on its roster*
- Aerospace: Unit earned the Aerospace Excellence Award (AEX) during the school year
- Cadet Achievement: 40% of cadets on roster have attained the Wright Brothers Award*
- Drug Demand Reduction (DDR) participation: 20% of cadets on the roster have completed DDR exercises or unit participated in Red Ribbon Leadership Academy (RRLA)*
- Encampment: 50% of cadets on roster have completed encampment
- Enrollment: Unit has at least 35 cadets listed on its roster
- Growth: Unit’s cadet roster increased by 10%, or 10 cadets from 1 September 2011 through 31 August 2012
- Orientation Flights: 60% of cadets on roster have participated in at least 1 flight
- Retention: Unit retained 40% of first year cadets (cadets that joined from 1 September 2010 through 31 August 2011)
*Revisions from 2011:
- Adult Leadership: increase from 2 to 3 graduates
- Cadet Achievement: Increase from 30% to 40%
- DDR: New criterion for 2012
- Change in beginning/end dates
For more information on the Quality Cadet Unit Award, please see http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cadet_programs/library/quality_cadet_unit_award.cfm.