Model rocketry and aerospace skills along with mission training all part of Aerospace Education Weekend
Oshkosh, Wis. – Southeast Group Civil Air Patrol (CAP) recently hosted the annual Aerospace Education (AE) Weekend in Oshkosh at the Wittman Regional Airport at the CAP building with over 72 members present. Nine CAP vehicles were on site and up to 10 aircraft and accompanying crews were available for use throughout the weekend.
First year students participated in old favorites like building paper airplanes and Delta Darts while second-year students built and launched rockets.
This year’s AE weekend introduced a new activity – the Payload Package Challenge. Students designed and built containers used for a raw egg drop.
Lieutenant Colonels Denese Helgeland, Jerry Krueger and Lisa Amburgey, along with Major Rose Hunt staffed mission #12-T-7499 and arranged a minimum of 30 cadet orientation flights. They flew over 20 mission sorties and scanner/observer flight; in spite of rain and high winds and did so in a safe manner.
Special thanks go to the following members for a successful weekend.
- Project officer Major Robert Thomas and assistant project officer Captain Pam Thomas of Walco Composite Squadron for coordinating the schedule and staff as well as providing new learning opportunities.
- Commandant of students, Captain Amanda Grandke of Racine Composite Squadron for helping all the students achieve the stated goal of Learning Aerospace Education and Having Fun at the Same Time.
- Cadet Commander Cadet 1st Lieutenant Michael Leggett of Milwaukee Composite Squadron #5, for managing his cadet staff with a smile.
- Director of support services, Lieutenant Colonel Connie King of Southeast Group and her support staff for being available at all times. Next year the newly trained 1st Lieutenant Kevin Grandke and 2nd Lieutenant Michael Thoennes will fill Col King’s position.
- Major Ron Sorenson and his crew for staffing the day room.
- Lieutenant Colonel Chris Trossen, food unit leader, and his staff from Timmerman Composite Squadron for the tasty meals.
A special thank you to Lieutenant Colonel Julie Sorenson, Southeast Group commander for making sure that the 2012 Southeast Group Aerospace Education Weekend could be enjoyed by all.