Civil Air Patrol members from twelve units participate in practice exercise
Shawano, Wis. – Wisconsin Wing Northeast Group conducted a practice search and rescue exercise in Shawano, Wis. on Saturday. The exercise included four air sorties (tasking) and 26 ground sorties.
The intended mission was to respond to a potential missing aircraft with one-third of the state’s units participating. Due to weather conditions however, ground teams were not utilized in the event.
Often during a mission, additional resources must be brought in for various reasons. With the unavailability of some scheduled resources, a call went out for additional mission resources. Additional resources made available included urban direction finding teams (UDF) and mission support teams to include air crew and ground teams.
The mission overall was a success due to the dedication and support of Civil Air Patrol’s emergency services personnel. Practice missions such as this help to prepare the organization to better respond during real life emergencies.
Participating in the one day exercise were CAP members from the following Wisconsin units:
- 153rd Madison Composite Squadron – Madison
- Fox Cities Composite Squadron – Appleton
- La Crosse Composite Squadron – La Crosse
- Stevens Point Composite Squadron – Stevens Point
- Timmerman Composite Squadron – Milwaukee
- 248th Tac Air Senior Squadron – Shawano
- Brown County Senior Squadron – De Pere
- Door County Senior Squadron – Sturgeon Bay
- Milwaukee Senior Support Squadron 10 – Milwaukee
- Green County Flight – Monroe
- North Central and Northeast Group
- Colonel Mike Archer, Civil Air Patrol (CAP) – USAF state director
CAP Reserve Assistance Program officer